B.A.C. - Bulawayo Athletic Club Fire.
- 21/8/2007 <--Prev : Next-->
The legendary Bulawayo B.A.C. Bar has burnt down !!
Bulawayo's Favourite Watering Hole - the Bulawayo Athletic Club Members Bar and Billiard
room burnt down last weekend in Bulawayo.
Residents living close to Bulawayo Athletic Club in 12th Avenue Bulawayo on Sunday night,
were horrified to see a bright glow emanating from the centre of the club buildings.
Although the fire was attended to by the Bulawayo fire Brigade, a large part of this historic
club was destroyed by the fire which was believed to have been started by an electrical
Over 100 years of Athletic events have taken place at this club, one of the very first sports
clubs in Bulawayo formed in 1894. The Club has for a century offered cricket, tennis,
bowls, squash and billiards and was a significant venue for many international sporting
The cosy members bar was totally destroyed, as was the delightful snooker room with two
magnificent full size billiard tables, although the cocktail bar was saved, as was the
Walkden Hall, the squash courts, the changing rooms and the familiar veranda from
whence countless friendly and not so friendly cricket matches have been supported for
over one hundred years !!
Sadly an enormous amount of stock from the bar was destroyed in the blaze and the
sound of bottles exploding could be heard from afar.
Now this is crisis material with many loyal BAC regulars who will be most unhappy not to
be able to prop themselves up in their favourite corner, and order copious quantities of
Castle Pilsener from Neville the worlds best barman for the past 37 years !!
BAC Chairman - Trevor Williams and the committee have resolved to do their best to get
the club up and running again as soon as possible, in spite of the awful economic climate
The club is hoping to start a small web site for BAC in the hope that ex BAC stalwarts
worldwide might dig deep to help rebuild this historic portion of Bulawayo's sporting
enquiries email Salty Ward:- firstname.lastname@example.org
N.B. See photos of the fire on the BAC website -